Friday, December 5, 2008

The Definition of Insanity

I have learned that when I need my husband's help on certain projects, moving heavy furniture for example, it is a good idea to foreshadow the event.

Last Saturday I said to him, "My office configuration is not working, I need to move my desk to a different wall." He turned and left my office without a word.

On Monday I showed him a diagram, "I've done all the measurements and taken into account the floor vent and it will work well on this wall." He examined the diagram for a moment and shook his head and walked out of the office without a word.

On Wednesday I asked, "So, when you are over your cold, maybe this weekend, could you help me move the furniture?" He grumbled something under his breath and changed the subject to asking me what I wanted for dinner.

This morning (Friday) I cornered him in the kitchen, "So, do you feel up to moving some furniture today?"

He stared at me rebelliously, "You and your moving of stuff. In my family, we put the furniture in once and it stays there."

"I'm sorry, I just realized that the desk took up way too much room in the spot that it is in. If I move it, it will open up the space considerably." I paused, "How does your family manage to get the right configuration the first time, anyway?"

He grinned, "I didn't say it was the best configuration, only that once it's there, it never changes."

Okay...

This evening I asked him, "So, are you going to help me move this furniture or what?" He grumbled and headed into the office, folded his arms over his chest and huffed, "So, what do you want moved where?"

A tense 30 minutes later, full of grumbling, sniping, and slamming of cords and power supply boxes, my office is rearranged and now has space in the middle to breathe. It looks great! As Dave puts it, I have a dance floor now. Not that I need a dance floor, but it feels far less claustrophobic in the new configuration.

All day I've been thinking of his explanation of his family and thinking to myself "Now I understand!"

The idea of not changing, even when something isn't working, is completely alien to me. Move it around, shake it up, put it in the wash, tie-dye it, bring the outdoors in and the indoors out. Change your perspective and re-invent yourself and your perspectives on the world around you.

See, it works like this...

Question: What is the definition of insanity?
Answer: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Go on, mix it up a little. Move your bedroom furniture around, change the paint color on your walls, and explore a completely different career or hobby.

If something isn't working in your life than it means that change is on the menu. Don't ignore it, shove the dresser to the right, add a touch of "What Color Is My Parachute?" and don't be afraid of the dust bunnies and dreams you stir up.

Life is too short not to get a new perspective on things.

1 comment:

terrylm said...

Hi Christine

I can't believe you've had no comments before now, but that might just be marketing on your part, because the content is truly worthwhile.

I've just gotten here for the first time and read through the current 'page', and looking forward to going through the archives.

More later, but I wanted you to know you're being read and listened to.

cl